As I study high achievers and begin to understand what sets them apart I start to realize that the key differentiators are NOT natural talents but more of a process of developing certain habits over the course of their lifetime. When it comes to being more effective and efficient with our time here are some tips. Take one and use it, take them all… each of them helps.
- Know what you want. Attaining clarity as to exactly what you want to have, do or be. That means clarity in every part of your life; in your career, business, health, relationships and so on.
- Ask yourself, is what I am doing right now the best use of my time?
- If a task doesn’t need to be done, get it off your to do list.
- Decide in advance what you have to get done and then commit to doing it. Without a clear focus, it’s too easy to get distracted.
- Identify your peak cycles of productivity and schedule your most important tasks then. I know mine are early in the morning or a few hours before bed time. When are yours?
- Identify your highest value activities and do those first. Tackle your most important tasks you will be far more effective the rest of your day.
- Block out time for the most important activities.
- Chunk the big tasks into smaller, group similar tasks together to save time.
- Pick up the tempo. (Speaking, walking, typing, reading, doing…)
- Take action immediately after setting a goal, even if the action is not perfectly planned. You can always adjust course along the way. This is a good way of overcoming procrastination.
- Use reading to fill in those odd periods like waiting for an appointment, standing in line, or while the coffee is brewing.
- Visualize your goal as already accomplished. Put yourself into a state of actually being there. Make it real in your mind, and you’ll soon see it in your reality.
- Once you begin a task, stick with it until it’s 100% complete. Don’t switch tasks in the middle. When distractions come up, jot them down to be dealt with later.
Feel free to comment and tell me if you have found out any more tips. The reality is that no matter where you are starting from you are likely to have the opportunities to achieve massive success. All of these habits are learn-able.